Thursday, April 23, 2009

More yellow...


My oil painting teacher encourages students to copy paintings by old masters as a way of learning about color and technique. When I encountered Claude Monet’s painting “Branch from a lemon tree,” I decided to give it a try since it provided more practice using the color yellow. Monet’s painting had a vertical orientation, but my copy seems to look "better" displayed horizontally, (Sorry, Claude.) I was unable to scan the canvas; the photo does not accurately depict the colors.

I’m really enjoying my class, although I’m a bit bored with painting red, blue and green boxes and cylinders. Yesterday my teacher suggested I move into the next class level now, rather than continue with the current beginning class. I'm thinking about it, although it's kind of nice to feel competent in a class. But it would be more challenging (and interesting) to be with experienced painters.

8 comments:

Ann said...

This is lovely and that sounds like a great class. Can you do both classes or are they at the same time?

laura said...

I love all the colors in your leaves, Sharon, and how they twist and curl! And the pinks in your yellows are truly fabulous.
I think you're ready to join the more experienced class--don't let yourself get bored!

A Brush with Color said...

What a lovely piece, Sharon! You must have felt good to know you are doing so well that you're being "promoted!" Touche! This is lovely, and I find yellows very hard to communicate. You did a beautiful job.

Robyn Sinclair said...

I do love this, Sharon!

I wish my oil painting class had started with basic technique, I think I'd have enjoyed it much more and maybe still be painting in oils. Enjoying your journey instead :)

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Lovely, Sharon. You do what you think is best, but if it were me I think I'd rather be challenged than bored. You're not a beginner. :) Not even close.

Anonymous said...

Very atmospheric lemon branch sharon!!
ronell

Lila Rostenberg said...

Loving the lemons! Loving yellow! Love to paint too!
I must paint my new "Lemon Sugar" perenial marguerite...just the right yellow to lift our spirits!
YOur class sounds like time well spent!
P.S. your pear logo is charming too!

Judybec said...

I can smell the lemony scent! lovely lemons Sharon. I think you'll enjoy the next level-- you are ready!