Saturday, July 28, 2007

Thoughts about clogging, er, I mean blogging...


I had to start this post about my new blog with a drawing of one of my clogs, but somehow I didn’t imagine it would look so huge AND ugly…they are, I guess. Shrug. I’m really into comfort these days…

If someone had told me a year ago that I would have my own blog, I would have been very amused. At that time my internet usage consisted of ordering books from Amazon and checking progressive political blogs for signs of hope that the damage done to our country by the Bush administration might be coming to an end.

Then I encountered Shelfari.com, a site that allows members to catalogue their book collections and communicate with other people who have a passion for books. I started spending a lot of time on the site, listing my books, getting ideas for future reads, discovering new poetry, and reading book reviews posted by other Shelfari members.

I decided to start my own blog. I named it “Present Tense.” I told a few friends and family members about it and envisioned it as a way to share family photos and other pleasures of summer life. But my simple vision expanded after I discovered the Everyday Matters website. I decided to start drawing and painting again and joined the group. I began posting my drawings on the website and it was fun getting feedback and encouragement from other artists. What a wonderful community of friendly, generous people! 

Then, as I checked out the lovely art and links on the websites of EDM members, I encountered some amazing food blogs. They inspired me to start sharing some of my favorite recipes. My blog began to feel a bit fractured. It was apparent that I really needed FOUR BLOGS – one for food, one for books, another for art and finally a blog for nothing but political rants.

I’ve taken the past couple of weeks off from blogging to think about what I want to focus on and how much time I can realistically spend on it. Books and art give me the greatest pleasure. So I’ve decided to stick with Shelfari for book related activities. I'm going to use the "Present Tense" blog for occasional family-related posts (not of interest to the rest of the world). My new blog, “Flat Sound of Wooden Clogs,” will focus mostly on art. When I paint something from the kitchen, I’ll pair it with a favorite recipe, so I’ll still be able to occasionally share my love of cooking.

If you've been visiting me at the Present Tense blog ( http://presenttense-umpqua.blogspot.com/), please delete the link. I hope you'll visit me here.

I'm working on a self-portrait to replace that 30 year old photo I used on Present Tense. I had a drawing I liked, but my son told me I looked deranged in it. Guess I'll keep working on that...

This has turned into a very long post. Thanks for stopping by. I welcome your thoughts about your own experience with blogging!

5 comments:

Barbara said...

I began with a blog from a site that speciallized in supporting folks with major medical issues. That worked for several months because I used 99 % of it to talk about everyday matters to friends and I uploaded faithfully each weekend. But then I started reading other women's blogs and saw how many women were developing their skills in arts and crafts. So I started an almost daily blog which has far fewer words and far more photos and drawings. All by way of saying, I understand your dilemma. Oh - and I love your clogs and hope you heal quickly! -Barbara

Alison said...

I never would have thought i would get so much out of a computer or the Net either. First I used it just for email, then for political activism - it's so good for keeping an interested community abrest of developments in a campaign and checking whether one's on course - and then I found EDM and I set up a blog and another blog (for a particular one year challenge) and my drawing really took off. It does take time but it has been really satisfying and led to some great friendships. Hope your foot heals soon.

Anonymous said...

you are so inspiring...now I need to figure out how to set up a blog!...deni......;)

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely - I'll be stopping by again and again! And I sure wish I had your skill for art.

Just a book/art crossover question - have you ever read Van Gogh's letters to his brother Theo? I really enjoyed them and what they had to say about the artistic process and life in general.

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Oh, THAT's why I couldn't find you old blog! LOL, I thought I was going bonkers. I love your new blog, and I'm excited that you're doing the EDM challenges here. BTW, I hope you foot is starting to feel better.