Monday, August 6, 2007
Experimenting with ink over washes..
This is the time of year when fowers in the pots on my deck are at their peak, soon to begin their decline as hot August weather takes its toll. Every year I try to draw and paint the flowers, but give up, overwhelmed by the amount of detail.
I was excited to see the technique demonstrated last week by Virginia (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginarteau) where she first put down a loose watercolor wash and then went back and drew the flowers over the wash in ink. I decided to try her technique. The first painting (top) shows pots on my deck, planted with three different types of flowers. It wasn’t entirely successful as the foliage melded together into one huge mass. Next time I will put in more negative space and more color spots for the flowers. I also think it would have looked better if I had painted both pots the same terra cotta color. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions on how to improve these paintings.
Today I tried the same technique on a bouquet of flowers. It turned out much better. Thanks, Virginia for posting your paintings - it was very helpful.
(BTW these paintings were done on that Strathmore 140 lb. CP paper which was so badly disparaged over the weekend. I soak the paper for five minutes or so and then staple it wet onto a foam core board. No problems with buckling. But after reading the various opinions about paper, I’m definitely going to pick up some Fabriano when I’m in town and give it a try.)
Thanks for stopping by!