NPR’s program All Things Considered had a very interesting interview with artist Mary Frank yesterday. The best part came at the end when Frank listed her ideas about the functions of art. I’ve broken down what she said into bullet points. You can read more at NPR.
(Mary Frank)… “says she's constantly revising her notion of what art is and how it speaks to people. For Frank, art has myriad functions:
• to comfort the dead
• awaken the living
• to know the migration seasons of birds and fish
• to know the human immigrations of the past
• and right now to be able to use experiences and transform them
• to make the eyes of children widen
• to give courage
• and never be afraid of tenderness or the absurd
• and to gather joy”
-Mary Frank, Artist
I particularly like, "to gather joy."