Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Delicious autumn!

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. - George Elliot


Autumn actually arrives on September 22, but it already feels like fall in Oregon. September and October are my two favorite months of the year. I love the sunny days and crisp evenings, the beautiful colors and the knowledge that I'll soon be sharing the holidays with family and friends.

Every four years autumn also means presidential politics. While I think it's important for us all to pay attention and seek accurate information, I'm determined not to let politics ruin my enjoyment of this season. I'm trying not to obsess... and working on not spending half the night mulling things over. (Politics and insomnia are a BAD combination.) But instead of letters to the editor, I'll be posting my thoughts about the election here.

Painting helps...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have portrayed a beautiful Autumn in your drawing.

Jeanne
http://gammiebrat.blogspot.com/

Spinneretta said...

LOL
My DH is the political one in our house... I frequently hear his rants about it!!

I love the autumnal leaves :)

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Lots os lovliness on your blog since my last visit. This one is especially good.

June said...

This fresh sketch is exactly what I would like to be able to achieve. Much watercolor seems to me to be overworked--it gives me a little pain in the back of my head, instead of joy like this one give me. June

Laura Frankstone said...

Sharon, I LOVE your leaves---this is watercolor at its best. And I share your worries and insomniac tendencies. Let us hope for the best in November and until then, let us paint ;D.

A Brush with Color said...

And what a beautiful, soft painting it is! It is an intense time politically, isn't it!?

Sydney Harper said...

Your autumn leaves are beautiful!

I've been obsessing over politics lately and I'm trying to get back on track with something more productive.

will said...

Thanks for your comment. Yes, it does seem as if we are entering the Twilight Zone.

I posted the educational background of the four candidates on my blog - just the facts - and if education means something then that's how things should go.

But, after the past almost 8 years, we've also come to realize many American voters are capable of voting without regarding a candidate's ability or potential.

Image and bluff talk are now the coin of politics.

Jennifer Lawson said...

Oh Sharon, you have outdone yourself. The light coming through the glass and the soft shadow are so beautiful. It feels soothing. I wish could quite having such a frenetic life and stop for a moment to see and paint like that.

cathyswatercolors said...

Yes we can.... I love the obama poster on your blog. I want one too. How do I go about it... Oh and I always enjoy your paintings as well.

mARTa said...

Beautiful Sharon! I wish we had fall in SoCal! I think it does arrive but is very short lived and brown. LOL!

Judybec said...

VERY pretty painting Sharon! I love the transparent quality of the glass vase.
When I can't sleep I "work in the garden" --in my thoughts, moving plants around and visualizing wonderful results! It puts me to sleep every time. Maybe it'll work for you?

Anonymous said...

Lovely watercolours sharon! A gentle touch, yet juicy and rich!
ronell

df said...

Sharon, thank you for your nice comment about being a fly.. But really, you don't need to! this watercolor is so nice.