Thursday, September 18, 2008

What's in my journal...

"Odd things, like a button drawer. Mean
Thing, fishhooks, barbs in your hand.
But marbles too. A genius for being agreeable.
Junkyard crucifixes, voluptuous
discards. Space for knickknacks, and for
Alaska. Evidence to hang me, or to beatify.
Clues that lead nowhere, that never connected
anyway. Deliberate obfuscation, the kind
that takes genius. Chasms in character.
Loud omissions. Mornings that yawn above
a new grave. Pages you know exist
but you can't find them. Someone's terribly
inevitable life story, maybe mine."

by William Stafford,
from Crossing Unmarked Snow

2 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

What a wonderful poem! I really like that! and gorgeous watercolor here! Excellent, Sharon!

laura said...

Great poem--I'm enjoying reading these pre-selected poems! I see you have a couple of poetry books on GoodReads--how are they?