Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Red trunk, rediscovered...


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with our son, daughter-in-law and three year old granddaughter Georgia. She pronounced the dinner, “very good” (although I think she was really just referring to the jellied cranberry sauce and the pumpkin brulée.)

While she was here my husband pulled more of our children’s toys out of the attic for her to play with. Georgia was quite taken with my daughter’s old doll and the red doll trunk filled with doll clothes hanging on brass hangers. My daughter’s grandfather made the little brass hangers and I spent many hours sewing and embroidering the “Vogue” doll clothes during my twins’ naps and after they were in bed at night.

After seeing her delight in the doll and her accessories, a plan was hatched. Although my daughter-in-law is not a big fan of dolls, on Monday she ordered a beautiful German doll for Georgia for Christmas. My husband began the search for brass fittings for a wooden doll trunk which he will make and I went shopping for fabric and patterns for doll clothing.

I’m sure this month will fly as I make dresses and pants and shirts and pajamas for the newest addition to Georgia's little family. And I suspect there won't be much painting...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story - I hope she enjoys the dolls, I think they are great toys for girls.

cathyswatercolors said...

gosh this is wonderful to hear. I didn't think families did this sort of thing anymore. I work with so many distressed and chaotic faimilies that it is a joy to hear this.happy family holidays

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

What a charming story, Sharon. I remember getting a blue metal truck like this from Mom's basement when she was moving to assisted living. I collect dolls in an unorganized on-and-off way, but the childhood ones that are soaked in memories are the best.

laura said...

I loved dolls--and still do; a beautiful baby doll is nearly irresistible, as are dolls that come with their own trusseaus! It's wonderful that everyone is pitching in fulfill Georgia's desire: the effort as much as the result will be treasured by her!

BARBARA WEEKS said...

Nice sketch and post. It brought back great memories of my Ginny dolls and blue trunk!

Nothing to See said...

This sounds wonderful! Great story. Thanks for sharing.

A Brush with Color said...

Wonderful story! I love how you immortalized the red trunk and its treasures. Lovely!