Monday, December 8, 2008

A very big baby...

Thirty-two years ago today I was hugely pregnant with twins. Within 48 hours, on December 10, my babies would arrive in the world and I would be recovering from a C-section and a broken shoulder joint.

The first months of my pregnancy were normal. The doctor and mid-wife at the birthing center kept telling me I was going to have a BIG baby. But at seven months, an ultrasound revealed that BIG baby was really twins. Exciting and scary news for my husband and I. My normal pregnancy soon began to change and by the time I entered the end of my eighth month, I had developed preeclampsia, a potentially fatal condition for mother and child. I was hospitalized for a week, then released. A day later I was back in the hospital where, within the next 12 hours, my son and daughter were delivered by C-section. During this time I also fractured my shoulder joint. (Twins are often born premature and underweight but mine were born on their due date and had normal birth weights – 8 lbs. 4 oz. and 6 lbs. 13 oz. I was huge. Teenagers laughed at me...)

Three days after their birth the twins went home with my husband, but I remained in the hospital for another two weeks. Two operations and two months later my shoulder joint had finally healed and I was able to hold them without assistance for the first time. Our little family had a bumpy beginning. The help we received from my husband's parents saved us.

Although the birth experience was not what I anticipated, my babies were everything I imagined and hoped for. They were mellow infants and happy children - smart, funny, creative and kind. Their teenage years were bumpy, but we all got through it. After high school they both went on to obtain advance degrees and have successful careers. My son is a wonderful father and I know my daughter will be a great mom if she has children. We're very proud of them.

Like all siblings, Zach and Camas have their prickly moments, but I’m pleased that they are friends and still close. They are probably rolling their eyes by now at my depiction of our family (not as perfect as I have perhaps made it sound). But we do love each other and enjoy spending time together, a sweet blessing.

On Wednesday they will be 32 years old. We won’t be able to celebrate their mid-week birthdays with them in Portland, but we’ll talk by phone. Happy birthday, my sweet babes. You'll always be my super kids!

9 comments:

annie said...

Thanks for sharing the story, Sharon, that fortunately turned out happily for you all.
annie

mARTa said...

I'd recognize those underoos anywhere!!! My 'super' c-section baby just turned 31. When did we grow up?

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post! I have heard much about your twins and it's a delight to see them here as kids and seeing you so beautiful with their birth... Happy birthday!
ronell

laura said...

Beautiful pictures, Sharon. How hard it must have been to have to stay in the hospital when the babies went home! Happy Birthday to the twins, and Happy Birth-Day to you, mom! (from a fellow Sagittarian)

Sandy said...

Oh congratulations Mamma, beautiful children and now beautiful adults - Brava, and I can Commiserate having had three c-sections and a daughter who had twin boys 2 years ago. Motherhood is the greatest (hardest) job in the world.

A Brush with Color said...

Wow! What a story, Sharon! How'd I miss this one!!?

I never heard of anyone having twins that big and healthy--it must have been so good for them, but it sure sounds like it was tough for you! You are such a trooper! You look beautiful with your sweet babies in that first photo. I have heard about preeclampsia and always hoped I'd never have to endure that. But you had that PLUS the shoulder PLUS the C-section PLUs twins!!! I think that tops anyone's story I've heard. Amazing. No wonder you always sound so calm and serene--you paid your dues a long time ago! LOL Thanks for sharing--beautiful story of your family.

Sharon said...

Sue,
Thanks for your comments, but actually I don't think anyone who knows me would use the words "calm and serene" to describe me, although they could use them for my husband (opposites attract and all that...)

Donna Mulholland said...

Thanks very much for this wonderful story. I have 12 year old boys who are twins so can I ever relate to this story. I don't want to speed up life but I hope that some day I will be able to tell a lovely story like this.

Happy birthday to you all and thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Sharon, thank you for this peek into your family life. I loved seeing the pictures of your children.