Friday, January 9, 2009

Yupoland

My guests left today and I'm starting to feel somewhat normal. Thanks for all the get well wishes.

After a short nap, I spent the afternoon in Yupoland, a strange and unpredictable place. Yupo paper has a plastic finish and there's little control over what happens when ink or watercolor is placed on it. I created a very nice abstract landscape, left the room while it was drying and when I came back later, everything had melded, moved, and turned into a completely different painting. The paper is just weird, slick and smooth. But I think there is amazing potential for some very interesting art. And I'm sure there are techniques for using it which I don't know yet.

I didn't produce anything wonderful, but did have fun moving the paint around. Another plus? You can wash everything off and start over again. (Don't you think the painting resembles this image of an amœba?...)

Number of days until Bush's last full day in office: 10

5 comments:

Ellen said...

I love it! Looks like some strange land and ice formation in Antarctica

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Yea! I've been having good fun on Yupo this week. Try getting a good juicy slosh on it, then see how salt reacts. Talk about instant gratification. You can also lay down lines, blobs, of white gesso, let it dry, then go wild over that. I added a few lines on a rooster the other day with watercolor pencil, sort of like pen and ink on wash. I look forward to seeing what else you do.

laura said...

Some people really love Yupo, being able to apply and then wipe away what they've done! (That's too much like oil painting to me; I'd never have a finished product!) I love what you've done here though--so free and unself-conscious!
Glad you're recovering; you want to be in top-notch shape on the 20th!

A Brush with Color said...

Oh, I've been wanting to try the yupo. I'm gonna' have to watch what you come up with. Looks great! Happy birthday and birthing day to YOU as well!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I can see a wolf face, looking out from his dark lair.